Spinach & Quinoa Festive Salad (GF, vegan)
serves 2 with possible leftovers
Salad Ingredients :
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or low sodium veggie broth
- 1 large delicata squash (or butternut if not available)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup unsweetened craisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing Ingredients (provides leftovers):
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 T rice vinegar (or raw apple cider)
- 1 T poppy seeds
- 1-2 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Soak the quinoa in water for 5 mins while you peel the squash.
- Use a vegetable peeler to scrape off the skin of the squash. Scrape out seeds and cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Pour out excess water from the quinoa, then dump the quinoa into a small saucepan. Pour 1 cup of water or veggie broth over it, then bring it to a boil, then cover and bring down to a simmer for 20 mins.
- Lay out squash on a baking sheet & toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 mins, turning over around 15 mins.
- Pour spinach, craisins, and walnuts into a medium or large bowl.
- Make dressing by simply mixing all ingredients in a mason jar or container.
- When quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and pour over the spinach mixture.
- When squash is finished roasting, add to the salad mix.
- Toss the salad a bit, then pour on the desired amount of dressing and toss again until well combined. Store the leftover dressing in the fridge.