When you hear the word 'nourish,' I'm sure you think of food. We use that word in our prayers before meals and when referencing what food should do to our bodies. Hang with me while I attempt to expand your perspective on how you can really nourish yourself...mind, body, and spirit!
Sometimes we focus so much on food and how, if we do it well, it can nourish our bodies, but we forget the little ways that we can make ourselves feel refreshed and alive.
What does this look like? What does it mean to nourish myself outside the context of food?
- Going on a walk/hike with your dog and noticing how rejuvenated you feel afterwards.
- Simply lying on your bed after a long day, listening to a great song and smiling at how relaxing it is to just enjoy that moment.
- Taking a long, hot bath with epsom salt and essential oils, knowing you are helping your body wind down for a good night's sleep.
We actually "eat" all day with our senses as we absorb the environment around us through our taste, touch, smell, sound, and sight. The key to feeling nourished and balanced is to make sure you are consciously thinking about how to "treat" all these areas with some respect. Allow me to help you come up with some ways to do this...
Here are 5 ways to nourish your whole self:
1. Relationships: however old you are, you're too old for crappy relationships. ;) So, figure out which ones give you energy and which ones suck your energy. Distance yourself from the latter and nurture the ones that make you feel good about yourself.
2. Environment: you absorb your surroundings and it affects your mood and energy. Therefore, if you are in an office all day, you should make it a priority to kick off those work shoes and run free outside where you can feel sunshine and a breeze on your face!
3. Connections: it's the age of the internet. It's easy to hide behind your computer and connect with people on social media, but it's important for us as humans to have face-to-face connections with others. Join a bible study, plan a girls night, get a foursome for a golf game, or join a running club.
4. Sleep: nothing compares or replaces this simple gift. It refreshes and restores your entire body system, so you are in a better functioning body each day. Read more...
5. Movement: exercise and/or moving your body releases endorphins, which make you happy and energized. It keeps the oxygen circulating through your system, so you feel alive and refreshed!
When I work with my clients, I help them realize there is more to life than food! There are areas in our lives that need just as much attention and love as eating in order to have a body that functions at an optimal level!
If you are tired or feel like you're lacking the excitement you want/need in your life, let's chat about how I can help you get where you want to be! Feel free to contact me anytime!